Congratulations! You said Yes! You’re newly engaged and so excited to get the planning process started – especially finding the perfect wedding venue! Before you start perusing the internet for the perfect wedding venue, compile your guest list and your budget. Both of these are very important factors in finding the perfect space for your celebration.
Once you have figured out your guest list and budget and have a few venues picked out that fit both, here are some questions to help narrow down the list and help you find the perfect wedding venue you’ve been dreaming of!
- Is the venue available on your date?
- How many weddings or events do you have per day?
- What’s included in the venue rental cost? Are tables and chairs included? How many hours do you have access to the venue?
- What time do guests and vendors have to be out of the venue?
- Is there a deposit required and is it refundable or applied to the total cost?
- What is their cancellation policy?
- Will there be a venue person on site the day of your wedding?
- Do they require a wedding planner or day of coordinator?
- Do they have a preferred or exclusive vendor list or are you able to choose your own vendors?
- Does the venue provide catering and are you required to use it? If so, can you do a tasting before booking the venue. Although in-house catering can be easier and cheaper, if you don’t like the food, it doesn’t really matter how beautiful the room is.
- Do they have a catering kitchen or area for the caterer to work?
- Will the venue allow you to bring in your own liquor?
- Is there a space for you and your partner to get ready?
- Where can your guests park? Are there extra parking fees or do they require valet?
- Is the venue convenient to public transportation?
- Is there room in the wedding venue for a band and/or dancing?
- What’s the décor like? Does it fit your style and wedding colors? Will you need to have extra décor brought in like draping to make it beautiful?
- Are there limitations on decorations? Such as candles or other open flames?
- Do they have adequate bathroom facilities and coat check?
- Is the wedding and reception venue wheelchair accessible?
- How close is the parking to the ceremony and reception rooms?
- Dreaming of an outdoor location, do they have any backup plans for rain or other inclement weather? If not, is there a place that you can put up a tent?
- Planning to have your ceremony and wedding reception in different locations, consider how far it is from one location to the other?
- If you are planning to have your ceremony and reception at the same location, is there a separate area for the ceremony and reception? If not, does the venue’s staff handle the flip or do you need to hire staff?
- Is there a space for cocktail hour?
- What type of send-off is allowed? If you have your heart set on a sparkler send off, make sure the venue allows it.
- Are there any hidden costs?
Before you sign the contract, read it carefully and ask questions if there’s something you don’t understand or need clarity on!
Feature Photo Credit: Twila’s Photography